Saying goodbye to 18

As the summer draws to a close and my birthday fast approaches, I have decided to reflect on my past eighteen years and also discuss the exciting adventures that next year holds.Although I know that I still have a lot to learn, I feel that I have experienced some memorable life experiences to be able to offer some advice.

Tip #1- Hard work never goes without reward

I know that a lot of times in life it seems as though no matter how hard someone works there is never a light at the end of the tunnel. I have to disagree with these skeptics. Although at first you may not see how hard work is paying off, I can assure you that over time you will be able to see the satisfaction and/or payment that is recevied through hard work and patience.

Tip #2- Sometimes life has to knock you down in order to able to appreciate things

Even when life is bad, there is always something to be learned after every situation. Sometimes you have to go through hell to experience heaven. I often think about this with the passing of my mother. It was a very terrifying experience without question; but somehow in a weird way I am thankful that it helped me to become the person that I am today.

Tip #3- Always stay true to yourself and never compromise your beliefs to satisfy someone else

I feel like this is the hardest thing to do in life. In high school, I was definitely a people pleaser, and I would find myself in situations doing things that I did not want to do. I feel like that it is important to realize that no matter what you do or try to get along with everyone, there is always going to that person who does not agree with you or like you.
This is hard to deal with. The best way to handle these situations is to just shake it off and realize that no matter what at the end of the day you did the best you could do and you are the best person that you can be.

Tip #4- Don't be afraid to get involved.... but also don't be afraid to say "No".
If there's something that you really want to do, just give it a try. Always go into a situation thinking to yourself, "What is the worst that can happen?" Often, you will find that there is no bad that can come out of the situation. Sure, you might have less time and be more busy. In the end, however, you will notice that jumping into things is never a life or death situation.
At the other end of the spectrum don't be afraid to say "no". If you don't feel like going out on a Saturday night and would rather stay in to watch a movie just say "no". Often we get over-stressed because of our inability to say "no" because we try to please people before putting our own wants and needs into consideration.

On another note, I am so excited for my sophomore year to begin at Ohio University. Heather Farr and I are account executives for ImPRessions and our client is... Athens Humane Society! PRSSA is going to rock as well. I hope that by being the VP of Member Relations I can help increase number of students in our chapter and develop the mentor/mentee program. Finally, I can't wait to do media relations for UCM.
I hope all of you had a great summer! Until our next blog entry! Peace and Love :)

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Keep it Classy - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template